The first things I bought were the smooth and threaded rods. This is where the frustration began. Not wanting to pay the Ebay merchants to cut the rods for me (to the tune of $80 a set), I decided to order rods directly from manufacturers. My logic was that getting it from them would allow me to save money and cut them to my exact specifications. And although that was true, other issues arose. The first of which was slow shipping. The rids took weeks to arrive. And the first batch of smooth rods came damaged! After taking a couple photos of the package and an email to the manufacturer, I had a new set the following week. Except that this time in order to prevent and damage or bending then decided to cut the rods in half thereby making it impossible for me to make a complete set due to the lengths required.
Meanwhile, I decided to look for the threaded rods locally. At this point I learned that even though America is technically metric, in practice none of the local guys in my area carry metric parts below 5mm. Fortunately, I was able to find the threaded rods at Fastenal for a really cheap price of $4/meter.However, after about a month I was able to get the rods prepped for the initial build.
The printed parts are from Ebay. The reason I decided to go this route was due to the fact that my Printrbot could not successfully print what I felt was needed That's not to say that I didn't try printing the parts on my own, just that PLA is not flexible enough for snap in bearing holders and my Printrbot's heated bed couldn't maintain enough temperature for a good stick with ABS. I was able to print my extruder successfully in PLA and am still using that part today (at least until I replace it with my printed ABS extruder with a PTFE tube for NinjaFlex).
Next was doing all the wiring and configuring the Smoothiboard.